Lookalike Audiences is a Facebook algorithm that studies your audience and finds people just like them to within 1% similarity and up to 10% similarity.
Useful Links and Info
Creating a Lookalike via Power Editor
In Power Editor go to your menu drop down and choose Audiences
Select the Seed Audience
- In the Source field, start typing the name of your seed audience. In this example I’ve chosen my Page. I want to Facebook to find people who like my Page Fans and find more people just like them.
- Select the Audience that will seed your lookalike.
- Facebook tells you what type of audience it is
Choose Country and Accuracy of Lookalike
- Select the country you want Facebook to source the new audience from.
- Specify how accurately you want Facebook to find people. All the way to the left is to within 1%. All the right is to within 10$ similarity. Unless you have a large budget or a small geo location you will likely always choose 1% (most similar).
- Create your LA.
Your Audience List
It can take a little while to build your audience, but when it’s ready you will have something like this in your audience list.
You don’t have to wait to select your Lookalike Audience in your Custom Audience field in your Ad Audience.
Obviously the wider the % of the lookalike, the more people will match the similarity and the audience will be larger.
Creating a Lookalike via Ads Manager
If you want to you could also have created your Lookalike Audience (LA) in your Ads Manager. https://www.facebook.com/ads/manager/audiences/
1) Click tools
2) Select Audiences
In the top right corner, click Click Create Audience and Choose Lookalike Audience. The process from there is the same as the Power Editor seed selection.
Duplicate an Ad in Power Editor
You need to be in the Ads Tab
Select the Ad
1) Click the Ad(s) you want to copy
2) click the Duplicate button.
3) Choose where you want the duplicate to go
Select Campaign and Adset
- In this example, we’re targeting people who Look Like our Page fans, and we’re asking them to Like our Page too. If you did the Target People from your Website to Like your Page ad, you’ll already have an Existing Campaign. If not, click Create New and call it something like Page Likes.
- We’re going to be targeting a new audience so you have to create a New Adset. Remember to name your Adsets relative to your audience. In this example we’re targeting people who lookalike (LA) our Page audience (fans) to within 1% similarity = Page LA 1%
- Choose the Page that will deliver the ads.
Change the Audience in the duplicate adset
Because we’re duplicating another ad, the audience will need to be changed.
- Go to the Adset tier
- Click on the Adset to change
- Click the Edit Audience Button